Sunday, July 09, 2006

Why This Catholic Is Against Prayer In School

What I will have to say might shock my more socially conservative friends of which I have many. I am a devout Catholic who attends mass every week. I was taught at Catholic schools growing up. My faith is extremely important to me. I carry a rosary around with wherever I go in order to be reminded whenever I reach into my pocket of my values.

But any connection with religion in public schools or the public sphere is wrong.

I will give you a minute to recover from the shock of that statement.



Yes, religious pictures of Jesus, prayer in public school, and bible study in school should not be encouraged nor defended.

Most people argue this position by saying that somehow religion will corrupt government. I instead believe it is much more likely that government will corrupt religion.

Like I have said previously, I am a devout Catholic. I am also an avid student of history and know very well what happened when the Catholic Church and secular governments became one in the Middle Ages. There was Corruption of the Faith. The Abuse of key doctrines of the Faith for monetary gain.

As a devout Catholic I also am concerned what exact religious prayer will be said in school. Will there be for instance a mention of one of the numerous Catholic saints that so bless my religion? Perhaps along with the picture of Jesus Christ at the public school we could also have a picture of the Virgin Mary for whom I am so devoted to as an example of kindness and love in the world (remember I do carry around that rosary).

Ah, the Protestants reading this post might be getting a little uncomfortable right about now. The importance of the Saints and the Virgin Mary... Popes and the Vatican....are not things that Catholics share in common with our other Christian brothers.

I will take it one step further. What about the mention of Allah in schools? A picture of Buddha?

I know that I wouldn't want my children to encounter that on a daily basis.


Religion Can Survive Without Government!

Does this mean that I don't think people should be religious? Hardly, I think it is important that we bring our religious faiths to matter of public policies and decisions that concern our nation.

But I also believe that these Faiths have survived for thousands of years without the help of government. Ironically they seem to thrive when government is against them.

Despite the numerous years at Catholic school I think I learned the importance of my Faith at home. I learned through sharing conversations with my mother. I learned of the value of attending Mass from my father's complete insistence of doing so.

So I ask my fellow religious out there ... do you have real faith in your Faith? Or do you believe it needs the help of government in order to survive?


I know this Catholic is confident that the Church will be fine without the help of a daily prayer at John F. Kennedy High each morning.




More Opinions At Basil's Blog
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction"--Ronald Reagan